Loading...
Vitra

Vitra

Vitra is a Swiss company dedicated to improving the quality of housing, offices and public spaces through the power of design.
Its products and concepts are developed in an intensive design process, which combines its engineering excellence with the creative genius of internationally renowned designers.

Its goal is to create functional, stimulating interior, furniture and accessories. The long life of materials, construction and aesthetics is our guiding principle, as demonstrated by our great classics, many still in production since 1950.
Initiatives such as Vitra Design Campus Architecture, Vitra Design Museum, workshops, publications, collections and archives are all integral parts of Vitra. They give you the opportunity to have a perspective and depth in all activities.
The production line is focused on design furniture for office, home and public spaces. In addition to the projects of the same house, he also produces and distributes designer work such as Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, Verner Panton, Antonio Citterio, Philippe Starck, Bořek Šípek, Mario Bellini, Glen Oliver Löw, Dieter Thiel, Jasper Morrison, Alberto Meda And Jean Prouve.

History:

Vitra was founded in Weil am Rhein in Germany in 1950 by Willi Fehlbaum, owner of a furniture store in neighboring Basel in Switzerland. In the following years, Fehlbaum acquired the rights to work by Charles and Ray Eames and George Nelson.

After a fire in 1981 destroyed the Vitra factories, British architect Nicholas Grimshaw was called to design a new factory. Next to the aluminum room, ready for production only six months after the fire, another production plant was built in 1986 by the Portuguese architect Alvaro Siza. In 1989 it was Frank Gehry’s turn to design another building next to the first two. Gehry himself also built the “Vitra Design Museum”, originally intended to accommodate the private collection of furniture by Rolf Fehlbaum, owner of Vitra.

In 1993, Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid added a fire brigade that today hosts a collection of chairs in the Design Museum. In the same year a conference pavilion was designed by architect Tadao Ando, ​​Ando’s first work outside Japan.

In 1994, Vitra’s administrative staff moved to the new headquarters (always designed by Frank Gehry) at nearby Birsfelden (Switzerland), while Alvaro Siza added the shop to Weil am Rhein. It is in the same venue that in 2000 a dome geodetic was designed by the American architect Buckminster Fuller in 1975 and is now dedicated to events and exhibitions, while in 2003 also a design service station by Jean Prouvé, architect and designer French.

Website